Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

July 8, 2012

Yummy Greens

Yummy Greens

I want to incorporate more green, leafy vegetables into our diet, but needed to find easy, flavorful ways to serve them.  We got a big bunch of kale and I got to work looking for good recipes.

I decided to go with steaming because it seemed like a great way to keep the nutrients intact and cut down on some of the bitterness of kale.

Kale is probably the most nutrient-dense food per calorie of all foods.
But it's kind of bitter.

I heated water in the bottom of a large pot and put the (rarely used) steamer section into the pot.

I don't like it when recipes don't tell me amounts to use, especially of an ingredient that I don't use often.  Several recipes I researched called for "a large bunch" of kale, and some said "steam kale" without even telling me how much! 

I can tell you that I put in 4 very large handfuls of kale and watched it quick reduce down as it steamed, covered. 



Then I tasted it after 10 minutes and the bitterness was still present.
If I want my family to eat, and LIKE, greens, then I knew I needed to make them more palatable.

So I added in 2 handfuls of chopped romaine, and that was a great balance.
I covered the steamer and cooked an additional 10 minutes.


I pulled the steamer tray out and seasoned the greens with minced garlic, dried dill, and dried basil, a little Kosher salt and black pepper.

This was a great greens dish! 

I asked my youngest to try the greens with dinner, and he ended up eating 2 servings, without any issue.  The leftovers were good reheated the next day as well.

Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.

Enjoy Your Veggies!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.