Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

July 19, 2012

Penne al Forno

Penne al Forno


I found this recipe on Dr. Barnard's website and thought it sounded great for a one dish dinner. 

I have a large skillet that I was able to combine all the ingredients in and then place in the oven to bake the dish.   You could always transfer the combined ingredients to a large baking dish before the last step of popping it in the oven. 

Pasta "al Forno" refers to a pasta dish that is cooked on the stove and then baked in the oven.

This dish is highly customizable again. 
The original recipe includes a number of options, so I'll share those with you. 

I sauteed sliced carrots, celery, and zucchini in a spray of olive oil for about 5 minutes.
I added some Italian seasonings and garlic powder.



 
I cooked the penne according to the packaged directions, draining it when it was just barely al dente.
It will continue to cook later in the oven.

Then I poured the hot, drained pasta into the skillet with the vegetables, added the marinara sauce, and the rinsed & drained beans, and combined it well.

I placed the covered dish in the oven and baked it at 350* for 12 minutes.
And done!



I pulled this dish out of the oven, told the family what was in it, and ran out the door for a church meeting, without trying it.

First thing David told me when I got home was that it was a really good dish. 
They liked the beans (which were an optional ingredient in the original recipe), and my concerns that there wasn't enough marinara sauce were unwarranted. 

Everyone liked it. 

Along with the cannellini beans, other optional ingredients included:  2 cups of diced Roma tomatoes, 2 diced roasted bell peppers, 1/4 c sliced olives, and chopped onion.

I will go with 12 oz of pasta next time instead of 16 oz, but overall - a win for my family!

Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.

Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.