Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

July 9, 2012

Spicy Baked Beans with Kale

Spicy Baked Beans with Kale

I went through my recipes looking for more that included kale, and stumbled upon this one from Dr. Barnard, whose recipes I tend to like for their simplicity.

I wasn't sure if we would like it or not, but my boys loooooove Baked Beans so I thought I'd give it a try.

We usually use Bush's Vegetarian, and I always get the large can because they are so liked around our house.


I thought I'd try this recipe and see what we thought.

We liked it!
The only change I will make next time is to chop up the kale more than I did.

Now, this isn't a gorgeous dish, but it tastes great.  You get some great nutrition from the kale, without the bitter flavor.  It works beautifully with the baked beans.

I modified the original recipe slightly and followed his simple version. 

You place all the ingredients in a baking dish and bake at 350* for 30 minutes. 

The ingredients included 20 oz baked beans, 6 c chopped kale, garlic powder, cumin, thyme, onion powder, maple syrup, and black pepper.  You can add chopped chipotle peppers for more heat.




Once it's cooked down, you have a great, mildly spicy flavor.
Again I'll chop the kale even more next time to keep from getting larger leaves and stalks.

Regardless - everyone ate up this recipe and enjoyed the leftovers the next night.

Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.



Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.