Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

March 5, 2012

Mayocoba Beans

Mayocoba Beans

When Mary and I were in Jungle Jim's International Market last month I saw a bag of Mayocoba beans in one of the Latin American sections. 
I had never heard of them but thought they would be great to try, since my family loves Mexican food.

Mayocoba Beans are also known as Canary Beans.  They are similar to a pinto bean, and are frequently used to make refried beans.



Mayo Cobas need to be soaked before cooking them. There are two ways to do this step.

Long Way: Soak 2 cups of beans in water overnight or 6-8 hours
Short Way: Boil beans in water for 2 minutes, remove from heat, cover and let stand an hour.



I went the Long Way because it actually involved less work!  I just soaked them in the morning and they were ready at night when I started fixing dinner. 

They swell up during that time.
2 c dried beans will make 6 c cooked beans.


Then you cook them in a large pot with plenty of water - I'd recommend a good inch or two above the beans.  You can season them in any way and let them cook on medium heat for 1 hour.

I chose to use two packets of Goya's Sazon, which you can find in Wal-Mart or other regular grocery store in the Mexican food aisle.  It has great flavors for beans.


When the beans were done I served them with tortillas and lots of other toppings for tacos and burritos that night. 

I had plenty leftover so I mashed some to use for refried beans the next day, and I froze the rest. 
They are great for soups, stews, and salads as well. 
You can spice them up any way you like.

Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.

Buen Provecho!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.