Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

September 1, 2012

Sleepy Lettuce Soup

Sleepy Lettuce Soup
 
Gillian McKeith shares lots of health benefits to each of her recipes.  I won't go into all the reasons this soup is so healthy (you can read all about it in You Are What You Eat), but I can tell you we all really liked this soup.
 
It's really rich and creamy.
No one could believe there wasn't cream in this recipe when we played our regular game of "can you tell what the ingredients are?" at dinner.
 
I froze half of this soup and pulled it out the other night for a second dinner. 
David and I liked it so much the boys didn't get a helping that second night.
 
This is really "Potato Soup with Lettuce" in my mind.
 
Start by heating olive oil in a soup pot and cooking garlic and onion for a few minutes.
Add in peeled and chopped potatoes and let the vegetables cook a few more minutes.
 

 
Then add in water, vegetable bouillon, and oatmeal.  Yes, oatmeal.  The original recipe called for 1/2 c of millet, but I didn't have millet, so I went with plain oatmeal and it worked beautifully.
 
I brought the soup to a boil, then let it simmer for 15 minutes.


 
Then I added in romaine lettuce and let it cook for a couple of minutes.

Then used my handheld blender to blend it well.
You could also transfer the slightly cooled soup to a blender or food processor, then return it to the soup pot if you don't have a Smart Stick.
 
Add chopped parsley or chives and blend again.



Reheat, if necessary, and serve garnished with raw nuts or chopped parsley.

Creamy, rich, and subtle.
A delicious soup!
 
 

Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.
 
Enjoy!
 

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting combination. It sound good to me and I love that there's isn't anything fattening in it.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.