Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

July 11, 2012

Cod with Sauteed Vegetables

Cod with Sauteed Vegetables

The other night Thomas asked for fish.  We don't eat a ton of meat at our house, so when someone asks for it, I am happy to make it.  And we all enjoy fish and seafood here!

Our family favorites are tilapia and salmon.  I decided to try out a different fish this time, and found this recipe for Cod and Sauteed Vegetables in the book Awakening Beauty.

I modified the recipe somewhat, making it easier on me!

Thomas decided he prefers tilapia over cod, and couldn't stomach the sauteed vegetables because they were "contaminated" with mushrooms.  Although - he bravely finished both his fish (using our homemade Smoky BBQ Sauce) and "non-fungus veggies".

David and I liked it and I'll certainly make it again!

I placed two cod fillets on a baking sheet and sprinkled them with Kosher salt and pepper, then baked them at 350* for about 22 minutes.

While they were cooking, I started on the sauteed vegetables.

Issue #1 - the recipe calls for shredded carrots and zucchini, but I got confused.  Long grates like with a peeler/grater, or short shreds like with a cheese shredder?  I wasn't sure and it was taking forever.

 ???



So, I decided that julienne cuts would be best.  See below - long carrot shreds, short carrot shreds, and julienned carrots.  I call that "adding texture".

Issue #2 - The original recipe calls for a zucchini.  I stopped by my least favorite place (Wal-Mart) to pick up something else, and thought I'd just grab a zucchini while I was there.  Turns out - they were completely out of zucchini (how is that possible???) so we went with a yellow squash instead.

Issue #3 - I was only supposed to use 1 cup of sliced mushrooms, but David came home from work and kissed me and I forgot what I was doing.  So I ended up slicing all my mushrooms and just went ahead and tossed them in.  Whatever.


 
The vegetables sauteed in olive oil (original recipe calls for butter), with garlic, green onion, and sesame seeds. 


I squeezed a little lemon over the final product.

And David and I liked it - the vegetables were still crisp, and had lots of flavor.

And even contaminated with double the fungus, it was still very good!

Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.




Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.