Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

July 8, 2012

Warm Red Lentil Salad

Warm Red Lentil Salad


I purchased a large bag of red lentils when I was at Jungle Jim's international market in Cincinnati a few months ago.  I was looking for good red lentil recipes and found this one in Gillian McKeith's You Are What You Eat cookbook.  I simplified it quite a bit from the original, but it turned out to be a really great recipe.


Red lentils soften up quite a bit more than green or brown lentils, which stay pretty well intact after cooking. We like them all around here.

This recipe is designed to be served over mixed salad leaves.  Instead, I served it over brown rice, and it was great.  I think it's a really versatile dish that you could customize depending on what you have and how you're going to serve it.

You place 4 oz of red lentil in a saucepan or frying pan with vegetable bouillon, garlic powder, and then cover with water.


I use this bouillon that I get from Kroger.



Then you bring the lentils to a boil, and simmer for 15 minutes until they are tender.
Drain away any excess water (I probably didn't use enough water to start with, so I didn't have any excess to drain away), but the texture was great.



And serve.
Again, I think this would be great over greens, but it was terrific with rice, and sooo easy!

Delicious!!

Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.


Bon Appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.