Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

July 16, 2012

Brown Rice with Creole Sauce

Brown Rice with Creole Sauce

Don't let the long list of ingredients (mostly seasonings) discourage you from trying this recipe.  It's an easy, quick, versatile dish that is great for rice, and I think would work really well over fish, chicken, or other grains.

I found this recipe in the Fire & Spice cookbook that I reference so often.  I like many of the recipes, organized by region of the world.

David especially liked this creole sauce.
Thomas did as well.

There was a strong flavor that I wasn't terribly fond of - but I liked the idea of this dish.
I think I'll play with the ingredients and try it again.

While your rice is cooking, you saute green bell pepper, onion, celery, a seeded jalapeno pepper, and garlic in some olive oil.  I covered it and let the vegetables soften for about 10 minutes.



Then you add an undrained can of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, file powder, brown sugar, lemon juice, cider vinegar, mustard, cayenne, and salt & pepper to the sauteed vegetables. I stirred it, and let it simmer for another 10 minutes.


At this point the kitchen smelled fantastic, but I knew that my kids wouldn't be thrilled with the chunks of tomatoes and peppers, so I decided to use the blender and turn it into a thicker sauce.

We served it over the rice, which was a great complement and helped cut the heat in the sauce.




Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.