Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

July 13, 2012

Tunisian Couscous


Tunisian Couscous

I saw this recipe in Fire & Spice and thought it would be great to use up the turnips I had bought for a recent soup.  I don't remember ever cooking with turnips before, so it was great to add another vegetable to our growing list of Boatwright-approved vegetables.

It's amazing to me how, after the turnips are cooked, they could easily pass for potatoes.
They really make this dish.

This is another customizable dish that you can make as spicy or mild as you like.
The traditional Tunisian Couscous is apparently really fiery, but I cut back on the Harissa Sauce in order to make it family-friendly.

I heated olive oil over medium heat and added sliced carrots, turnips, red bell pepper, and garlic.  I covered it and let the vegetables soften for about 10 minutes.

 

Then I added in vegetable broth, soy sauce, turmeric, cayenne, and salt & pepper and let it cook uncovered for 45 minutes.  Finally I stirred in tomatoes (I used tomato sauce but the original calls for diced tomatoes), chickpeas, and other spices and simmer it until heated through.



During this final step I cooked couscous according to package directions.
We really like couscous, and it is so quick to fix!

I used this couscous, but any would work.



Serve the vegetables and sauce over the couscous!

The flavors are great and it heats up really well for lunch the next day!

Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.



الهنا والشفا
(Arabic for Bon Appetit!)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.