Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

August 6, 2012

Super Green Kale Soup

Super Green Kale Soup

You want a really, really healthy soup?  That also tastes pretty good?
And is good heated up the next day?  And can be frozen for later?

Then I have the soup for you.

I found this recipe in the You Are What You Eat cookbook by Gillian McKeith.
I thought it was really good, given all the nutrition packed in a bowlful.  The boys were lukewarm about it, but they ate it just fine.  I'll certainly put it in rotation with other soups!

You start by heating just a little olive oil in a pan and cooking sliced onions and garlic.
Then you add peeled and chopped turnips and cook for another few minutes, letting them soften.



Then you add boiling broth and let the soup simmer for 10 minutes or so.


Then you add sliced zucchini...


 ...and chopped kale, and let it cook for another 5 minutes until all of the vegetables are tender.



Then you remove the soup from the heat and allow it to cool before putting it in a blender or food processor.  I used my handy handheld blender directly in the soup pot instead.  I made sure my big slices of zucchini were good and soft before I started.

 Re-warm, and serve!


The original recipe suggests garnishing with fresh dill.  I used raw sunflower seeds instead, and it gave the soup a nice crunch.

Good, and so good for you!


Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.