Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

January 22, 2012

Eat the Rainbow Black Bean Soup

Mary's
Eat the Rainbow Black Bean Soup

My newly vegan, great chef friend Mary shared this recipe with me and I made it for the family this weekend. 
It's a fantastically healthy and flexible recipe.
What I like about it is that you can freeze the leftovers, which I did. 
It'll be nice to pull out 1 c servings to have with lunch or dinner.

Here is our modified version of this soup.

I started by sweating carrots, celery, and red pepper.  I added a dash of oil but it isn't necessary.  I cooked the vegetables for about 5 minutes.


Then I added the remaining vegetables, spices, broth, and tomato sauce and brought it to a boil.
Then I reduced it to simmer, covered it, and let it cook for 30 minutes.



Right before serving I added the chopped chard and then ladeled into it bowls and served it with multi-grain bread.


A few notes:
**I will add a 3rd can of black beans to the soup next time
**I will chop the chard and cabbage more finely next time.
**You can add or delete any vegetable to this recipe.  I used celery that I had on hand and I omitted the onion.
**I thought my cabbage was "small" but it was too much.  I'll just use half a cabbage next time.
**If you like a soupy soup, add more broth.

Delicious and super healthy!

Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.


Eat Your Veggies!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.