Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

November 28, 2011

Sesame Rice Salad with Scallops

Sesame Rice Salad with Scallops

This recipe is based on a Southern Living recipe from October 2009.
It can be made with 1 lb scallops or shrimp, or 3 cups of cooked chopped chicken.
Last week I made it with scallops.

The boys were doing homework and getting their costumes ready for their plays while I was cooking. 
Thomas suddenly got so excited because he said it smelled exactly like the lettuce wraps from P.F. Changs. 
We love the lettuce wraps.  Maybe my favorite dish ever. 
I was really excited that the rice tasted almost identical!

The original recipe called for using Uncle Ben's packaged rice, which I hadn't used before. 
It's awesome and I'll definitely use it again! 
Only takes 90 seconds to microwave and it's delicious!

The recipe also called for sesame oil and sweet chili sauce which I had on hand. 
These two items can be found in any grocery store though. 
By the way - sesame oil needs to be stored in the refrigerator once opened.


I seared the thawed scallops in a frying pan for 7 minutes, turning them once.
I cooked the rice according to the package directions.
In a small bowl I whisked the zest from a lime with the lime juice, a little salt, sesame oil, cilantro, and 1/4 c sweet chili sauce. 
I tossed the sauce with the rice and was ready to layer the salad for dinner.

Chopped lettuce on the bottom, then rice, then scallops (or shrimp or chicken).
You can top with a little extra cilantro, toasted sesame seeds, or green onions.

This dish was a hit last night, although I will cut back the sweet chili sauce just slightly next time.
I thought it was great but it had a little kick to it.

And I couldn't believe how much the rice tasted like P.F. Chang's!
So good!

Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.

ขอให้เจริญอาหาร!

(Thai for Bon Apetit!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.