Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

February 25, 2012

Chana Dal

Chana Dal
(Bengal Gram Dal)

Recently I picked up a bag of legumes that I had never seen before but thought would be fun to try out.
I found Chana Dal in the Indian section at Jungle Jim's International Market in Cincinnati.
Thanks to Google, I knew I could find a recipe or two for this yellow looking pea.

I did, indeed, find lots of recipes online for Chana Dal, and many many blogs and website talking about the great nutritional value (it's a 5 on the glycemic index!) of this cousin to the chickpea.

I married several recipes to come up with my own version of Chana Dal.
It is absolutely delicious!
source

You start by soaking a cup of Chana Dal in water for 2 hours.
Drain and pick through.

Then boil 3 c of water on the stove and add the Chana Dal.  Cook on low for 30 minutes.
Then add spices and simmer.

Heat a little oil in a small frying pan and add mustard seeds and garlic.

Too much oil here.

Once the mustard seeds have popped and the garlic has lightly browned, add all to the Chana Dal.

The boys thought it was corn while I was cooking it.
Does look like it with the turmeric added!


I served the Chana Dal with Pappadam that I also picked up at the store.


They're like little Indian tortillas, made from lentil and rice flours.
You dip your fingers in oil and smear a little on each Pappadam and then microwave them for 50 seconds to make them softer and easier to fold up.



The Chana Dal was delicious.  Everyone in the family liked them, and so good for you!
The Pappadam were OK but I'd like to experiment with other ways of using them.

I could see using Chana Dal in a variety of ways:  plain, as a dish with rice, as a side dish with a curry, in egg rolls...


Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.

आप का खाना स्वादिष्ट हो
(āp kā khānā svādiṣṭa ho)
Hindi for Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.