Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

December 14, 2011

Christmas Cake

Mama's Christmas Cake

This is a cake that my mom has made many times over the years.
I was pleased to learn that it wasn't that hard to assemble, and it makes quite an impression.
I made it for my international cooking club a couple of years ago and they were thrilled to learn to make something so unique for the holidays!

I served it at our Wine Club dinner Sunday night, and I got several "oohs" and "it's lovely!".


Start by laying a piece of wax paper on a 15x10 pan and then spraying Pam on the wax paper.
Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.

In the mixer beat eggs until thick, then add sugar and beat on high for 5 minutes until thick and creamy.  Add orange juice and combine, then add in flour mixture.

Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly.  Bake at 375 for 12 minutes.


Lay a clean dish towel on the countertop and sprinkle it with confectioner's sugar.
Remove the pan from the oven and invert it onto the towel.


Remove the wax paper and cut off 1/4 inch around all sides of the cake.
Feed the "cake strips" to your hungry helper.

Roll up the cake and towel and allow to cool completely.

Drain the cherries well.
Combine heavy cream and confectioner's sugar in a mixer and beat on high until thick and creamy.  Stir in vanilla.

Unroll the cake and spread half the whipped cream onto the cake and all but 3 of the cherries.
Twice I've forgotten to hold back 3 cherries and kicked myself.
 Note: You'll notice I didn't spread half the whipped cream on the cake because I was afraid I wouldn't have enough leftover to frost the cake. Fear not! You'll have plenty, so use 1/2!

Then roll the cake back up and place, seam down, on your serving platter.


Then frost with remaining whipped cream and garnish with the remaining 3 cherries and holly leaves from your front yard :)


Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.

Happy Holidays!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.