Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

June 5, 2012

Pineapple Casserole

Pineapple Casserole


Last month when our moms came up to visit, my mother-in-law gave us a new cookbook called Mississippi Hometown Cookbook. 

The boys and I read through it and drooled over the delicious sounding recipes.  Of course, a lot of the ingredients are not "figure friendly" (as is the case with most of my Southern cookbooks!), but it's fun to try out new recipes any time!

Brennan spotted a Pineapple Casserole recipe in the "vegetables and other side dishes" chapter and was intrigued why it would be considered a vegetable or side dish instead of a dessert.  I had to agree.  But I like pineapple casserole and hadn't had it in years so we made it last night.  And yes.  It truly is more of a dessert.

I've modified it quite a bit to make it a touch healthier less decadent  :)


I only took the "after" shots.  We had friends in and out and a lot of activity while I was cooking dinner and trying out this new dish.  I'm just glad I remembered these photos!


We drained a can of pineapple (you can use chopped or crushed), and reserved 2 Tbsp of the juice.
We sprayed our casserole dish with Pam and placed the pineapple in the dish.

Then we combined sugar, flour, and cheese and sprinkled it on top.
Finally we mixed the pineapple juice in with melted butter and crushed Ritz crackers (I used whole wheat), and sprinkled it on top.

Baked at 350* for 30 minutes, it was a delicious sweet treat after dinner.


Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.