Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

July 21, 2013

Quinoa Salad with Avocado and Kalamata Olives

Quinoa Salad with Avocado and Kalamata Olives
 
This recipe comes from the New York Times online.
I thought it sounded like a good way to eat quinoa (keen-wah), which is high in protein and a nice alternative to rice.
 
Before you cook quinoa, you need to rinse and drain it a few times to get the soapy residue off.  It cooks quickly.


When the little white string in the seed is present, you know it's done.  It's as easy as making rice according to the packaged directions.


After making the quinoa you toss it in a bowl with a seeded & diced cucumber, Kalamata olives (I halved mine), and chopped fresh mint and parsley.  I seasoned it with sea salt and black pepper.

 
Then I whisked the dressing ingredients together - lemon juice, vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, olive oil, and either buttermilk or plain yogurt.  I used plain Greek yogurt with a Tbsp of water to give it a dressing consistency.
 
 
You toss half of the dressing with salad greens of your choice (I used romaine), and the other half of the dressing with the quinoa salad.  I served the greens and quinoa separately, but you could combine them.


Top with diced avocado and Feta crumbles (optional).
 
I really loved this salad - I would do it again even without the dressing.  The boys were neutral, but David liked it too.  The quinoa salad portion was great the next day with new greens.
 
Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.
 
 
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.