Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

July 8, 2013

No-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

No-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
 
I have been making these cookies for years.  I don't remember where I got the recipe, but I'm pretty sure it was a church cookbook.  Maybe my grandmother's church?  I have several so I could go back and look through them, but I vaguely remember finding this recipe years ago as I was reading through a newly gifted cookbook.
 
These are very simple and kids can make them, with a little supervision.
 
I made them for kids this time around when I attended a couple of parties over the 4th of July weekend where there would be plenty of kids to enjoy them.

 
And I made them while watching Bridget Jones's Diary.
 
 
 
I paused to get started on my cookies after Bridget had her heart broken by Daniel Cleaver, and was headed to the dinner party with lots of smug married couples.  You know, where at the end Mark Darcy tells her he likes her. 
Just as she is.
 
 
You bring sugar, milk, cocoa, and butter to a boil, letting it boil for 1 1/2 minutes.  Then you remove it from the heat and immediately stir in peanut butter and oatmeal.
 
 
And then it needs to seriously cool.  But not too long or it is difficult to shape them into cookies without them crumbling.  I would say 20 minutes.
 
Or, in my case, until the end of the fight between Daniel and Mark after Bridget's birthday dinner (with the blue soup). 
 
Then form the cookies (I usually end up making more like balls than cookies - but any shape works), and let them sit on wax paper to cool completely so they won't crumble apart.
 
Serve, and store any leftovers (ha) in an airtight container.

 
 
Tom:  Well done Bridge, four hours of careful cooking and a feast of blue soup, omelette and marmalade. I think that deserves a toast, don't you? To Bridget, who cannot cook, but who we love
just as she is.
 
 
Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.
 
Enjoy!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.