Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

July 12, 2013

Mexican-Style Sweet Corn

Mexican-Style Sweet Corn
 
I found this recipe in Redbook Magazine and knew the boys would especially like it.
I modified it just a bit, reducing the amount of butter their recipe called for.
 
When we lived in Mexico, we enjoyed visiting local parks.  The boys were so young - just toddlers/preschoolers while we were there - and a trip to the park was a big outing :)
 
At all the parks, and lining the streets in the little towns, were fresh fruit and fruit juice vendors.
And one of the most popular street food was Mexican corn on the cob.
And it was muy, muy rico!
 
I was always a little leery of buying food off the street in Mexico, especially for the boys.
But we did enjoy some Mexican corn - what with it being cooked and all :)
 
The corn I remember the most was when we were visiting the rainforest in the state that we lived in, a beautiful lake park.
 
After walking around enjoying the beautiful scenery, we enjoyed some corn.
 
Media Luna
 
 
Brennan (2) at Media Luna
 
I could just squeeze him.  He is so darn cute.
 
 
 
What made it different was that they roasted it on an open grill, then squeezed lime over it, dusted on some cayenne pepper, cheese, and then had mayo or melted butter for you to add if you wanted to.
 
Really, really good!
 
 
 
This recipe is for cut sweet corn.  I didn't have fresh grilled, so I used frozen, and cooked it first according to the package, and drained it well.  Then I added it back to the pot.
 
I added in butter and cayenne pepper and let it cook for 3 minutes.
 


Then I removed it from the heat and stirred in grated Parmesan, Kosher salt, and fresh lime juice.

The boys really liked this version.  I think I could use quite a bit more cayenne pepper, especially a dusting on top before serving.  But 1/4 tsp might be enough for your family. 
 
Brennan mentioned this corn from lunch when we were at a play last night. 
How much he loved it. 
 
Didn't have the heart to tell him I finished it off with my dinner :)
 
Looks like I'll be making it again.
 
 
Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.
 
Buen Provecho!
 
 
 

1 comment:

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.