Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

July 12, 2013

Massaged Kale Salad

Massaged Kale Salad
 
I read a review of a restaurant's Massaged Kale Salad online and wondered what in the world this is.  I had never heard of a "massaged salad" so Googled it.  I read several recipes on various websites, combined them all and made my own this week.
 
The various online recipes called for different versions of kale like dinosaur kale and black kale.  I used Kroger Kale - what was available to me without much research! 
 
I understand from Mary that Russian Kale is delicious fresh.  I don't normally think of kale as something I would eat raw.
 
But a massaged kale salad is raw, and is very tasty.
This will be a staple recipe in my house.
 
You start by washing and trimming the stems off of a large bunch of kale.  Then cut the kale into 2 inch pieces (bite-sized pieces).
 
Place them in a large bowl and sprinkle on Kosher salt and the juice of an entire lemon.
 
 
 
Then massage the kale with your hands vigorously for 3 minutes.
The salt and lemon juice will start to wilt the kale.
 
Then add in olive oil and massage for another 2 minutes.
(I think this is a great job for a junior chef who might be hanging around the kitchen wanting to help mom).
 
Then toss in fruit and raw seeds or nuts.
Diced apple and mango were the most recommended fruits.
Raw sunflower seeds and pepitas were recommended as well.
 
I went with apple and pepitas for this salad.


After the photo I decided to mix in the apple so that it wouldn't turn brown on me.  I wanted to save the leftovers in the fridge because it will apparently keep for several days.

The kale is very lemony, but I like it a lot.  A chunk of apple with a piece of kale cuts the lemon flavor down.  I think this is a great way to serve this super nutritious veggie!
 


Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.
 
Enjoy!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.