Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

December 6, 2012

Hot Purple Cabbage

Hot Purple Cabbage
 
So I made up the name of this recipe.
It comes from my friend Jan, who makes it for holiday meals all the time.
It's originally from Roger's German side of the family.
 
Roger and Jan

Jan brought it to our Oktoberfest Wine Club party a couple of months ago and David and I really liked it.  I'm always up for a new veggie recipe.
 
Jan assured me it was really easy, so I pestered her until she emailed me the recipe :)
 
She said that she puts all the ingredients together in a large pot.
 
I had a really large head of cabbage, so I dealt with the other ingredients first, then added the cabbage.
 
I placed the apple cider vinegar, salt, sugar, and water in first and let the sugar dissolve over medium heat.

 
Then I added in my purple cabbage.  When Jan made this recipe, I think she used red cabbage.  Or, there may not be a difference.  My outcome just looked a lot purple-r than Jan's!  Regardless, it worked just fine.
 

Mix it up, cover, and let it cook for an hour on medium-low heat.  Stir often.
This is after just 10 minutes.

Serve piping hot, even if you have to microwave it again after transferring to a serving bowl.
 
I love the flavors and will make this again soon I'm sure!
 
Thomas had 3 helpings the night I made it, and Brennan had leftovers the next day with his after-school snack. 
 
(Results not typical)
 
Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.
 
Guten Appetit!

 

1 comment:

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.