Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

April 29, 2012

Pasta with Garlicky Broccoli Rabe

Smitten Kitchen's
Pasta with Garlicky Broccoli Rabe

I saw this recipe on Smitten Kitchen last week and knew I had to try it.
I have been looking for a reason to try a green that I've never tried - Broccoli Rabe.
Also known as Rapini.
This recipe looked like a great introduction.



I have to tell you that our entire family really, really liked this recipe.
And it was simple, simple. 
And quick.
And had very few ingredients.

Perfect.

I put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
While it was doing its thing, I cleaned and trimmed the broccoli rabe.
This green is in the mustard family and is full of nutrients.  I just trimmed the hard stalks off and rough chopped the leaves and little broccoli-looking heads.

Once boiling I added my pasta.
David was at the store and chose Radiatore for this dish.  It is great for holding onto a sauce nicely.


Radiatore means "little radiators" in Italian.  OK.

I tossed the package of radiators into the boiling water for 8 minutes.
With 2 to go, I added the chopped broccoli rabe.

I let it cook for 2 minutes and then tossed it in the colander to drain.

In a small pan I heated olive oil and tossed in the chopped garlic.

We thought the dish had a little too much oil, so I've reduced the amount below in the recipe card.
The garlic flavor was great, though.
Once the garlic was golden (about 5 minutes), I transferred the pasta and broccoli rabe to a large bowl and tossed in the garlic oil.  Seasoned with Kosher salt, and served it.

Some topped theirs with grated Parmesan, and reported it was even better.

 I think I could easily have used quite a bit more broccoli rabe, but didn't want to overwhelm the family the first time out!

David liked this green better than broccoli and spinach.
Brennan said he couldn't even taste it.
Thomas doesn't care for sauteed spinach, but didn't have any issues with this dish.  He really liked it.


Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.