Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

March 11, 2012

Soba with Cabbage

Soba with Cabbage

This is one of those dishes I thought I'd try, but didn't have high hopes for. 
It was just a side dish, so if we didn't like it, then no big deal.

It turned out really well, and David especially liked it.
I'll certainly make soba again (perhaps without the cabbage for Brennan since he isn't a vinegar fan).

Soba are buckwheat noodles, commonly found at Japanese restaurants.

For this recipe I used 4 packs of noodles (a pack is wrapped together in the purple paper).
You cook them in boiling water just like you do spaghetti, and drain once it's good and tender - about 4 minutes.


At the same time I sauteed packaged shredded cabbage with green onions in rice wine vinegar, then set it aside.

Then I added the drained noodles, soy sauce, more vinegar, chili powder, and sesame seeds and tossed together with the pickled cabbage.




Surprisingly good!

Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.

どうぞめしあがれ
(douzo meshiagare)
Bon Appetit in Japanese 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.