Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

March 11, 2012

Black Beans and Rice

Black Beans and Rice

This dish is what David calls "basic food", and is his favorite kind of homemade dish.
It is simple, filling, healthy, and we all liked it - and it made enough for the next day's lunch leftovers.
Win-win-win!

I checked out several recipes online before I created my own. 
This recipe is very forgiving.  You can customize it to your taste very easily.

I made these in the Crock Pot because I was going to be out for several hours, but they can be made on the stove just as easily.

Start by soaking a bag of black beans in water for 4 hours or overnight.

They'll double or triple in size.
Rinse and drain.

Place black beans and 4 c vegetable or chicken broth in the crockpot and set for 6 hours on medium.

Because my boys don't like "chunks" of tomatoes, onion, and peppers in their food, I then blended the remaining ingredients before adding it to the crockpot.

I blended a 14 oz can of tomatoes, 1/2 onion, 1 chopped bell pepper, salt, spices, and herbs.

And done.

I made up a big pot of rice (and brown for myself) and served the dish with Tony Cacheres and Tobasco on the table so everyone could add their own heat.

Yum!

Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.

Bon Appetit!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.