Recipes             Menus              Entertaining             About

Starred Recipes

3 Stars - A Family Favorite
2 Stars - Really Good, Will Make Again
1 Star - Good Recipe, Probably Won't Make Again

October 7, 2012

Reuben Dip

Reuben Dip
 
We attended an Oktoberfest party last night and I wanted to take a couple of good German dishes.
My friend Kathja shared this recipe for me. 
 
It ended up being great!  I returned with an empty dish.
 
Best part - this is an entirely microwaveable recipe.
Only 5 minutes or so of overall cooking time.
 
 
Kathja is from Austria and said (in her dry German way) that this is a very typical Oktoberfest style dish.  That can be served any month at all!  She loves our obsession with all things Oktoberfest this time of year.
 
She said that she normally uses dried beef for this dish, but if you had leftover corned beef, this is a great way to use up those leftovers.
 
She let me know that men especially love this appetizer for its salty, heartiness.
I found that the ladies liked it too :)
 
I used Armour dried beef.  It's really salty, but the crackers help cut the salty taste.
Really, it was delicious!
 
 
You start by melting a little butter in a microwaveable dish for 30 seconds.
 
Then you add in shredded Muenster cheese (I used Havarti because Kroger didn't carry Muenster), cubed cream cheese, ketchup, Dijon mustard and black pepper.
 
Microwave it again for 1 minute.  Stir it and if it needs another minute, go for it.
 
Don't worry - this isn't the serving dish so don't worry about the messy look.

 
Then stir in the chopped dried beef.
At this point I covered the dish and put it in the refrigerator until we were about ready to leave.
It's not necessary though.

 
When you're ready to serve your dish, place a cup of rinsed and drained sauerkraut in the bottom of your serving dish, top with the beef mixture and stir up just slightly.
 
Microwave for 3 minutes and serve with crackers or small slices of rye bread.

Delicious and decadent!
 
Double click to print as a 5x7 recipe card.
 
Guten Appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my table! So glad you dropped by. I love hearing from you.